Areas of legal expertise

Contempt of Court: enforcing the judge’s orders.

If your ex-spouse or co-parent isn’t following the judge’s orders in your case, you can

file a contempt of court case. It is important to request the specific relief you are seeking, whether it’s to require the other party to pay maintenance, child support, or other financial obligations, or to comply with a parenting time order. Sometimes, there are better alternatives than filing a contempt of court case.

You should always have an experienced attorney represent you if a contempt case has been filed against you. Depending on the type of contempt filed and the relief requested, courts can enter remedial or punitive sanctions, both of which may result in a party being sentenced to jail time.